September is a great time to get the word out about preparedness and raise awareness in your organization. Consider an awareness campaign based on National Preparedness Month.
Based on its success last year, this September will continue the theme of “Don’t Wait, Communicate. Make Your Emergency Plan Today,” with a continuing emphasis on preparedness for youth, older adults, and people with disabilities and others with access and functional needs.
You can start on social media, using these hashtags:
- #PrepareAthon if you are conducting a preparedness exercise, tabletop discussion, or sharing a preparedness-in-action moment.
Ready.gov has a complete resource toolkit you can use, including graphics, and a weekly theme list:
- Week 1 (Aug. 28-Sept. 3) – Promote NPM
- Week 2 (Sept. 4-10) – Preparing Family and Friends
- Week 3 (Sept. 11-17) – Remembering 9/11
- Week 4 (Sept. 18-24) – Individual Preparedness
- Week 5 (Sept. 25-30) – Lead-up to National PrepareAthon Day